Scott C. Kaestner's poem "Chasing God in Maui"

 


Scott C. Kaestner is a Los Angeles poet, writer, dad, husband, and a man on a mission to not be on a mission so he can just chill. Google ‘scott kaestner poetry’ to peruse his musings and doings.


Chasing God in Maui

 

There may or not be a heaven

but there is definitely a Maui

and I saw God there last July

jumping off a cliff at Twin Falls;

thought this an opportunity to

find out the meaning of life or

at least ask a few questions so

I jumped off the cliff too. In the

water below, I looked for God

but the Holy Spirit was already

back on the Hana Highway and

heading down the mountain. Got

in my car and followed God to

the Iao Needle where I spotted

the Holy Spirit with local Manas

twisting and turning through the

lush green valleys. Unable to

keep up I again lost sight of God

but luckily our paths crossed at

Dragon’s Teeth where I saw God

bubbling up from the ocean and

onto the sheet of sharp volcanic

rock. Just when I was about to ask

my questions, God went back into

the ocean and swam to DT Fleming

Beach where I saw the Holy Spirit

swimming with sea turtles. I waited

on the white sand for the Divine

to emerge from the Pacific but

instead God swam out to Lahaina.

In hot pursuit I searched the shops

and restaurants of Front Street and

finally found God eating shaved ice

at Ululani’s. Too busy devouring a

mango pineapple coconut combo

God didn’t notice as I approached

and popped my big question,

“Hey God, what’s the meaning of

life?” The Holy Spirit took one last

bite of shaved ice, looked me dead

in the eye and confidently replied

“Mahalo… gratitude my friend.”

then vanished in the warm salty air

leaving me grateful for this moment

and the pursuit of it… mahalo.

© 2022 Scott C. Kaestner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kevin Patrick Sullivan's poems "Camels" and "Surviving the 405 Long Beach Freeway and the Process to Cardiac Clearance"

Call For Submissions: Poetry, Essays, Fiction, and Art

Thursday, April 4, 2023: Two poems and artwork by Ann Tweedy