Wednesday, May 8, 2024: John D. Robinson's "A Squint of Spain 2022"

 




A Squint of Spain 2022


I purchased a straw hat and sunglasses,

so that I could blend right in with most

of the other assholes: unlike a majority

of my fellow countrymen, I was absent

of a shaved head, a fat gut, a big mouth

and bad tattoos and they began drinking

pale, watered down beer at 10:30 am: I

left out the booze until late evening, I

enjoy drinking alone and listening to

music of my own choosing: I’d sit on

the room’s balcony and gaze across

at the 5 storeys, sprawling apartment

complex opposite and observed life in all its

variety as I drank my wine: any

night I would see half-naked young

women strutting from room to room,

gay men in boxer shorts romantically

dancing, cat’s balancing on 3rd

storey windowsills, one guy who

would constantly lean out of his

4th floor window and look up and

down the street and then shake his

head and disappear for a few minutes

and then return: an elderly couple

whose faces were lit by a flickering

television screen, sometimes, I heard

the cries or giggles of small

children as Chopin sounded from my

wife’s I pad as I gazed upwards,

reassuring myself that Heaven was

still there, awaiting these

beautiful

people.


© 2024 John D. Robinson


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kevin Patrick Sullivan's poems "Camels" and "Surviving the 405 Long Beach Freeway and the Process to Cardiac Clearance"

Call For Submissions: Poetry, Essays, Fiction, and Art

Thursday, April 4, 2023: Two poems and artwork by Ann Tweedy