Gareth Roi Jones's poem "The 1000 Ways to San Marco Piazza"


                                                                            Piazza San Marco with the Basilica (1720) by Canaletto



Gareth Roi Jones is a member of the Dandylion Collective, a small writers' group based in South Australia. In 2014, he co-edited the Friendly Street Poets Anthology 38 The Infinite Dirt ... & again in 2020, titled, simply, Q (you remember the weirdness of that year, you get why) ... as well as judging the Saeta Awards. In 2019, he had two chapbooks published; The Soft Hummus of Shleep & The Loam of Our Dreams; in 2012, a solo collection, Gunyah


The 1000 Ways to San Marco Piazza


my love lives in Dorsoduro ; I, in Castello ; & every evening ; she promises to meet me ;

in San Marco’s Piazza at sunset ; she says if we find each other there ; our love will last

if I were more talented ; I would write a postmodern novel ; telling of the thousand ways ;

we never meet ; a short chapter ; a paragraph; even just a line, or single word ; about

how my unerring ability ; to lose my way ; dooms me ; every alternative route I choose

the one where I see her on another Ponte, chase her, see her on other Pontes, but I

never get closer ; the one where every Calle is a dead end ; the where I find a letter on

the cobblestones from her to another ; the one where I fall in ; the one with a Calle so

narrow my shoulders reach each wall which close in till I am wedged tight; the one where

I meet another who might in fact be the one true love of my life

nights thick with the stink of summer tourists ; nights where the waters are still obsidian ;

nights when I don’t want to leave the house ; nights when I am dying to ; muggy shirts

sticky nights ; wet winter nights

& maybe ; one night ; when I least expect ; I will arrive ; & she ; & I ; will meet


© 2022 Gareth Roi Jones


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kevin Patrick Sullivan's poems "Camels" and "Surviving the 405 Long Beach Freeway and the Process to Cardiac Clearance"

Call For Submissions: Poetry, Essays, Fiction, and Art

Thursday, April 4, 2023: Two poems and artwork by Ann Tweedy