Marcelo Medone's microfiction "Mexican Nightmare"

 



Marcelo Medone (1961, Buenos Aires, Argentina) is a fiction writer, poet, essayist and screenwriter. He received numerous awards and was published in more than 40 countries, including the US.

He was awarded the First Prize in the 2021 international contest by the American Academy of the Spanish Language with his surreal short story La súbita impuntualidad del hombre del saco a rayas llamado Waldemar (The Sudden Unpunctuality of the Man in the Striped Jacket Named Waldemar).

His flash fiction story Last Train to Nowhere Town was nominated for the 2021 Pushcart Prize.


Facebook: Marcelo Medone / Instagram: @marcelomedone



“How was the trip?” asked me Carlos, when I arrived in Yucatan. “Hope you are ready to dive.” 

As an underground cave explorer, I love flooded caverns.

We went deep into the unexplored cenote

I saw gauzy, blind fish.

“Down here in the dark, they don't need eyes,” Carlos told me. “There is a whole new ecosystem. Every creature has its predator.”

We reached the sandy bottom and found the mutilated corpse of a fearsome beast.

I wanted to warn Carlos, but it was too late.

A huge monster, almost transparent, caught him.

It still haunts me in my nightmares.    


© 2022 Marcelo Medone


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kevin Patrick Sullivan's poems "Camels" and "Surviving the 405 Long Beach Freeway and the Process to Cardiac Clearance"

Call For Submissions: Poetry, Essays, Fiction, and Art

Thursday, April 4, 2023: Two poems and artwork by Ann Tweedy